Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I PASSED/Preparing for School Linky Party

I am so excited that I passed my ESL certification test! Whew, glad that's over! Thanks to everyone who wished me luck and sent me good thoughts! They were definitely appreciated! :)


Ok, this is my first time to participate in a linky party. I wish that I had some pictures of my classroom and all the things I do during the year. Hopefully I can get some pictures and update my blog. Ok here are the rules:

1. Post about this linky party on your blog
2. Follow her blog ({6th Grade} All-Stars) and mine too, if you'd like :)
3. Answer the following 5 questions (include documents if you have them):


- What grade do you teach?
I will be teaching 6th grade math this year. I have taught 7th grade ELAR for the last 3 years.

- What is the greatest advice you received during your 1st year of teaching?
I'm not sure what the greatest advice I received, but the worst was don't smile til Christmas. I don't advise following that. My advice is to be consistent and fair, but stay strong in your decisions. Kids need to and want boundaries and if there is a clear line to what you expect, they will respect it more. Also, have procedures for everything in your classroom, from coming into class, getting supplies, changing groups to leaving the classroom and practice these from day 1.

- Do you have a checklist that you follow when preparing your classroom (include the checklist)?
I do not have a checklist, but it's a great idea! I am excited that I am not changing rooms this year even though I changed grade levels and subjects. I do have to have my room completely organized, decorated and put together before I can actually sit down and start planning and working on lessons. Which means I have to start working in the summer before we are required to report.

- What are some must haves in your classroom that you cannot live without (ex. items, books, posters, management strategies)?
1. I have to have my First Days of School by Harry Wong. I have been teaching for 13 years and I still pull this out every year to look over it. He has a TON of great ideas.

2. Books! Even though I teach math, I have to have a classroom library for my students.

3. Diet DP!!!!

- What is something that all teachers should have in their classroom?
A personal space just for them. In my room it is my desk area. I have pictures of my family and personal items that make me feel happy. During my conference I love to sit in my space and turn on the radio and just get lost in what I'm doing.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! And I am right there with ya on the diet dr. Pepper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have found you. Your newest follower... also in Texas, also 6th grade Math, second year though. I only have 4 kids though :)

    congrats on passing your test!
    -Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me! I love that we have so much in common. I will definitely be following your posts. Since you teach in Texas as well, do y'all use CSCOPE? Maybe we can help each other out this year. :)

      Delete